When a 2x10mm composite trailer board goes up in smoke: What can you do?
By the end of 2018, there were more than 300,000 trailers on the roads in the US and Canada.
As the number of trailers increases, so does the risk of fires.
“If there’s a fire, it could be a catastrophic fire,” said Kevin Wiegley, senior fire analyst with the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
“It’s a huge risk.”
In the past year, more than 6,300 people have died in wildfires.
The cause of many of those fires is the buildup of carbon monoxide gas, which can cause severe respiratory distress and even death.
A small amount of carbon dioxide can build up in a trailer, but the buildup can be contained with water or other chemicals, or even a chemical mixture such as baking soda.
This is one reason why it is important to take extra precautions when you purchase a trailer.
“We have to take care of our trailer, not just the trailer,” said Wiegler.
“That means we have to be careful to ensure that there are adequate ventilation systems and we have enough water to prevent leaks.”
As with any vehicle, there is a limit to how many times a fire can be started.
Even a small amount can cause massive damage.
The average age of a trailer is 15 years old.
If the fire is going on a trailer with a built-in fire extinguisher, the owner should have the vehicle inspected and properly tested, said Wigley.
If you’re concerned about your trailer, you can visit the Insurance Information Center (IIAC) website, which is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The IIAC also offers tips on protecting your home and property from wildfires.
“Take the time to read the guidelines,” said David Covington, IIAC’s chief fire investigator.
“A lot of people have no idea what to do.”
Follow NBCLA for the latest LA news, events and entertainment: Twitter: @NBCLA Facebook: NBCLA Instagram: @Nancy_Covington